CD15 Prisma – CD and network player
CD15 Prisma is a compact digital music media player, providing high end CD disc, stored and streamed digital media music playback, with wired and wireless connectivity and control capabilities provided by the Prisma network player technology.
CD15 Prisma is a compact complete digital music source featuring a slot load dedicated CD drive with Prisma control and connectivity technology feeding a carefully crafted DAC stage and finely tuned analog output stage, allowing for full featured digital music playback from either stored or streamed media, as well as multi-room multi-zone capabilities. In fixed output mode it is a complete digital music source for any high end audio system. In variable output mode, simply connect a pair of powered speakers to form a complete compact digital music system.
Prisma – Network and Multiroom Technology
Prisma is a bundle of technologies that provide the broadest range of network music player features and functionality. Essentially created to be a streamer that would allow everyone, and everywhere, in the household to explore, discover, and share the deeply satisfying experience of high-performance music playback – Prisma provides multi-room/multi-zone connectivity and control of stored and streamed media, whether wired or wireless, all managed from mobile devices through the dedicated Prisma system control app.
In addition to AirPlay 2*, Bluetooth®, Roon Ready*, and Spotify Connect®, Prisma features Chromecast built-in, a unique streaming portal allowing effortless direct connection to hundreds of streaming applications and services, including voice control, for the best possible performance and user experience.
*with future update
The look and feel of Scandinavia
We believe that every aspect of our products – the way they look, the satisfying feel of the controls – contributes to the overall experience of living with Primare. As a result, Primare products exude the hallmarks of Scandinavian design – simple, elegant designs, with approachable and easy to understand functionality.
An example of this is the compact, essentially three-quarter sized, of the 15 series, cabinets creating the sense of perfect proportions being just right for allowing placement within any living environment – or as we say lagom, not too much not too little, everything in balance, proportion, and harmony.
With the 15 Series, we offer a carefully considered array of models in order to allow for the best selection to fit any of your system needs. For example, the ultimate 15 Series system might be the DD15 CD transport, SC15 Prisma preamplifier and network player, I15 analog integrated amplifier, and R15 MM/MC phono preamplifier, allowing for the best performance, analog or digital, with the greatest number of connection options. However, there may be no need for additional digital inputs, MC phono preamplification may not be requirement, or simply to address budget or size considerations, a system composed of CD15 Prisma CD and network player with an I15 MM integrated amplifier with MM15 MM phono module installed could be assembled. This compact and reasonably priced system provides multiple analog source playback, including vinyl disc, as well as digital disc, stored or streamed media playback, with remarkable power, control, and connection flexibility.
I15 MM + CD15 Prisma: A Delightful Duo
We have experienced the Primare I15 and CD15 Prisma as one blissful duo together. We praise the balance that the manufacturer has been able to achieve in construction, optics and performance... New from the box, we immediately fall for the warm-neutral sound signature and the detailed sound stage of the I15... The CD15 Prisma is just about everything that could be expected from of a modern digital player... the price-performance ratio is unsurpassed.
Music Emotion, The Netherlands, July/August 2019, Download PDF
I15 Prisma + DD15: A nice musical adventure
The time I spent with the Primare I15 Prisma and DD15 goes into the books as a nice musical adventure. Not only did this beautifully designed and pleasantly compact set offer me an interesting look at the already current future vision of Primare, I also really listened to it with great pleasure.
Music Emotion, The Netherlands, October 2018, Download PDF
DD15: Slot Machine
Matching the I15 Prisma, this CD transport does exactly what it's supposed to do: digital delivery from silver discs, and it does not need an analog
output. Granted, the equipment of the DD15 is spartan, but it does not need more for CD music enjoyment... the great display could reveal a bit more information, but this does not diminish the enjoyment of music, because the sound is ultimately made by the digitally connected converter.
Audio, Germany, October 2018, Download PDF
Awards and Reviews
We are not the only ones convinced that Primare Products create a remarkable sound experience. Read what journalists around the world have to say.
We would like to help!
Want more information or a demonstration? Ready to buy? Contact us using this information request form and we will do our best to answer your questions and connect you to one of our distributors and dealers.
MSRP 1750 €
Price may vary due to differences in currency, sales and import taxes.
- CD TransportPhilips Slot Load
- DACAKM AK4490
- RCA1 x stereo pair analog output
- RCA1 digital output
- 1 digital output
- C25 remoteIR system control
- IR input3.5 mm in/out
- 12V Trigger3.5 mm in/out
- RS232outboard system control port
- Prismacontrol and connectivity
- USB1 digital input
- Ethernetx 2
- Chromecast built-in
- Spotify Connect
- Dimensions350 x 73 x 329mm (WHD)
- Weight6.6 kg
- Finishesblack or titanium
CD15 Prisma – CD and network player
CD15 Prisma is an integrated digital music source, combining compact disc and stored or streamed media playback.
- Design Philosophy
- Drive Technology
- Digital to Analog Conversion Technology
- Prisma Connectivity and Control Technology
- Optional Configurations
- System Building
All of Primare designs are a result of our Practical Design Approach, resulting in a focus on two fundamental design elements:
- Thoroughly implemented power supply designs – so that all elements of any design to operate effortlessly at their fullest effectiveness. Every product and sub-circuit demands unique power supply solutions – a more conventional linear supply or advanced switch mode main supply may work best dependent upon the application, and carefully crafted individual discrete power supplies are strategically inserted into the circuit to deliver power exactly where and how much is needed.
- Artfully crafted ultra-short signal paths – so that each individual component and sub circuit operates sympathetically to achieve a cohesive whole. Elegant and simple electrical designs are used in even the most complex product, utilizing ultra-short signal paths with all gain in one device whenever possible. Ultimately, this results in fewer, higher quality parts for a reduction in associated distortions and an increase in overall electrical efficiency.
To that end, basic technologies have been selected to realize those benefits:
- 2 and 4-layer double-sided circuit board construction allows for the most direct and efficient layout of circuit components not only for the shortest signal path, but also to more easily achieve a sympathetic layout of circuit and sub-circuit components for best performance.
- Surface mount components are used whenever possible as this allows for direct connection of the circuit device or component to the circuit board trace with the solder being used solely to mechanically hold the part in place. The elimination of the small metal lead or wire at each connection point in a more conventional large scale circuit device or component cumulatively shortens the signal path. Additionally, conventional large scale components demand through hole or “eyelet” construction, limiting direct contact of the component’s lead to the circuit board trace and resulting in the solder providing electrical connection as well as mechanical connection for the device. Neither solder nor the metal used in the leads of most large scale devices provide the best signal transmission, therefore limiting potential performance of even the best designed circuits.
The Philips slot load disc drive chosen for use in CD15 Prisma was originally developed for the transportation industry, and as a result is extremely reliable and well isolated from external and internal vibrations, ensuring long life and low noise. An internal interphase I2S and SPDIF digital audio interface combined with buffered memory is utilized for improved performance.
Digital to Analog Conversion (DAC) Technology
In order to allow for playback of virtually any digital source with absolute accuracy and musicality a high performance 32-bit stereo AKM DAC AK4490EQ chipset was selected for the I15 Prisma, incorporating AKM’s VELVET SOUNDTM technology, and capable of achieving -112dB THD+N with 120dB (stereo) S/N, while supporting up to 768kHz PCM and 256/11.2MHz DSD. The AK4490EQ integrates a newly developed switched capacitor filter “OSR Doubler” that greatly reduces sound degradation from noise shaping, achieving a flat noise floor up to 200kHz. An innovative design technique utilizing a symmetrical layout for the left and right channels prevents signal quality deterioration, and a 32-bit digital operation block provides full 32-bit processing.
Power Supply Technology
A customer linear power supply is combined with a switch mode standby supply (turned off when in playback mode to minimize noise) to deliver on demand the precise power needed.
Prisma Connectivity and Control Technology
Prisma provides a full function network player – for stored and streamed media, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connection, including multi-room/multi-zone connectivity and control. Prisma App – to control every feature of every Prisma product
Prisma App, in addition to the configuration settings control listed above, provides:
- Playback functions: Play, stop, track forward and back, shuffle play, repeat single or all tracks, volume mute, volume adjustment either by tapping the -/+ icons or sliding your finger across the volume bar
- Multi-room multi-zone control between other Prisma enabled devices
- Search by artist, album, track, and title from stored media
- Complete track information, including file format, bit and sample rate
- Playlist and Queue creation from stored media
- Digital – USB-A
- Sample rates up to PCM 24/192kHz and DSD 128/5.6MHz
- File formats: WAV, LPCM, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, MP3, MP4 (AAC), WMA, OGG, DSD
- Wired/LAN – two Ethernet connection ports allow Prisma to act as network switch for flexible wired network system connection options
- Wireless/WLAN – dual band wireless technology (WLAN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n and 802.11ac compliant)
- Bluetooth – connects Apple, Android, and Windows devices directly for playback of either streamed or stored content from the associated device with lossy compression. Given the wide availability of this technology and lower resolution capabilities, Bluetooth is an easy way to stream content for informal listening.
- AirPlay – connects Apple devices over the WiFi network for playback of either streamed or stored content from the associated device with lossless compression. As a result, AirPlay has the capability of playing over greater distances than Bluetooth, and as the Apple Lossless Audio Codec is used to allow streaming quality up to CD quality (44.1kHz), is appropriate for more critical listening.
- Spotify Connect – connects any device with the Spotify application over the WiFi network directly to that service, and allows for playback at the highest level offered by the required Premium service (up to 320 kbps).
- Chromecast built-in – offering the greatest level of connectivity and control options:
- The Chromecast built-in associated Google Home application connects the Prisma device to your WiFi network for casting hundreds of enabled music streaming services.
- Because it provides a direct connection between the I35 Prisma and the preferred music service through the network, playback quality is limited only by the quality of resolution provided by that service, meaning the possibility of higher resolution playback from services like TIDAL HiFi and Qobuz (up to 24-bit/96kHz).
- More than one device can be connected at a time, content can be cast to any Chromecast built-in device on the network, and control of all functions can be accomplished from anywhere within the network.
- Automatic Prisma firmware updating through Google Home application.
- Voice control though the Google Home speaker and Google Assistant is anticipated as that system becomes readily available.
For additional details on Prisma see “Design Brief – Prisma”
CD15 Prisma + powered loudspeakers
By connecting a pair of powered loudspeakers to the CD35 Prisma and selecting the variable output option allows for the creation of a compact high-performance digital music system for disc, stored, and streamed media.